Cascara Sagrada Extract (Herbal Formula)
Cascara Extract. (half strength) 1 in 2.
4 ounces Cascara Sagrada bark (cut or ground)
1 quart Distilled water
1. Bring to boil, then simmer slowly, covered, for 1 hour.
2. Strain, return bark to clean saucepan, add enough water to cover bark, then simmer slowly another 10 minutes.
3. Combine the two liquors and boil till reduced to 8 ounces.
4. Add 4 oz glycerine and reduce again to 8 ounces.
5. Cool, bottle and keep in a cool place.
Dose: In chronic constipation, 1 teacupful 2 or 3 times a day, half hour before meals. Regulate dose to suit condition, using more or less Cascara Extract as the case requires.
This will be found to be an excellent tonic laxative for chronic cases of long-standing constipation, and if persisted in for 3 or 4 months, will completely restore peristalsis. It can do no possible harm in any case, and will correct every curable case of intestinal atrophy and chronic constipation. It will gradually but surely restore health and strength to the intestinal mucosa. (Shook, p.134)
Dr Craig’s Note on Rhamnus purshiana
Advanced Course in Herbology by Dr. Edward Shook