What are peaches?
Peaches are a type of fruit that belongs to the species Prunus persica. They are native to China but are now grown in many parts of the world. Peaches are known for their deliciously sweet and juicy flesh and are popular fruits in various cuisines and desserts.
Characteristics of peaches:
- Appearance: Peaches have a round or slightly flattened shape with a deep crease running along one side. The skin of a ripe peach can range in colour from yellow to red or a combination of both. The flesh inside the fruit is typically golden-yellow or orange, and it surrounds a large, woody pit (stone or seed) in the centre.
- Taste and Texture: Peaches are prized for their sweet, aromatic, and slightly tangy flavour. When ripe, their flesh is juicy and succulent, making them a refreshing summer fruit.
- Varieties: There are many varieties of peaches, and they can be classified into two main types: freestone and clingstone. Freestone peaches have a stone that easily separates from the flesh, making them easier to pit and eat, while clingstone peaches have flesh that clings tightly to the stone, making them a bit harder to remove.
- Nutritional Value: Peaches are not only delicious but also nutritious. They are a good source of vital nutrients (‘vitamins A and C’), as well as dietary fibre. They also contain several beneficial phytochemicals like antioxidants, which help protect the body against oxidative stress and inflammation.
- Culinary Uses: Peaches can be enjoyed fresh, sliced, and eaten on their own. They are also used in a variety of culinary applications, such as in salads, desserts (like peach cobbler or peach pie), jams, preserves, and smoothies.
- Ripening: Peaches are typically harvested when they are still firm and continue to ripen after being picked. Ripe peaches should yield slightly to gentle pressure and have a fragrant aroma.
- Season: Peaches are most commonly available during the summer months, typically from late spring to early autumn, depending on the region and the variety.
Here are three delicious alkaline vegan peaches recipe for you:
Vegan Peach Smoothie:
- 2 ripe peaches, pitted and sliced
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup almond milk (or any other plant-based milk)
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup (or maple syrup)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- In a blender, combine the sliced peaches, banana, almond milk, almond butter, agave syrup, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon.
- Blend on high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Taste the smoothie and adjust the sweetness and cinnamon to your preference.
- Pour the smoothie into a glass and garnish with a few peach slices on top, if desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy your refreshing and nutritious alkaline vegan peach smoothie!
Vegan Peach Salad:
- 2 ripe peaches, pitted and sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach or arugula
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup sliced cucumber
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon key lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the baby spinach or arugula, sliced peaches, red onion, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and chopped basil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper to make the dressing.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss everything together until well combined.
- Serve immediately as a refreshing and nutrient-rich alkaline vegan peach salad.
Vegan Grilled Peaches:
- 4 ripe peaches, halved and pitted
- 1 tablespoon almond oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave (optional, for added sweetness)
- Preheat your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, mix the almond oil with the ground cinnamon.
- Brush the cut side of each peach half with the oil and cinnamon mixture.
- Place the peaches on the grill, cut side down, and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until grill marks appear.
- Flip the peaches and grill for an additional 2-3 minutes or until they are softened but not mushy.
- If desired, drizzle a little maple syrup over the grilled peaches for added sweetness.
- Serve the grilled peaches as a healthy dessert or alongside your favourite vegan ice cream.
- Enjoy these alkaline vegan peach recipes and savor the natural sweetness and goodness of peaches!
Peaches are not only a delicious treat but also a healthy addition to your diet, providing essential vitamins, minerals, and fibre. They are best enjoyed when fully ripe, as that’s when their flavour and juiciness are at their peak.
DISCLAIMER: THIS WEBSITE DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.