A nervine is a plant remedy that has a beneficial effect upon the nervous system.
2 oz Blue Vervain Herb (Verbena hastata) (cut)
2 oz Damiana Leaves (Turnera diffusa) (cut)
2 oz Scullcap Herb (Scutellaria) (cut)
2 quarts Distilled Water
1. Pour the herbs into the cold water and let it stand for at least 2 hours.
2. Boil on low heat for 20 minutes (do not cover pot).
3. Strain the mixture and return the liquid to the pot. Boil slowly until it is reduced to three pints.
4. Strain and add 1 pint glycerine and 1 pint honey.
5. Stir to thoroughly mix together and allow it to cool.
6. Bottle it and keep it in a cool place.
Dr. Edward Shook noted: ‘this is one of the very best nervine tonic ever made. It will cure St. Vitus’ Dance, ague, quaking and shaking of the limbs. It is one of the safest and most effective female regulators of amenorrhea and dysmenorrhea. It is also a wonderful tonic for weak stomach, gas, and flatus.’
Elementary Course in Herbology By Edward E. Shook