Decoction of Barberry Bark (Anemia and Malnutrition )
4 ounces barberry bark (cut)
3 pints of distilled water
1. Put the bark in the water and let stand for 1 hour.
2. Boil slowly until the water barely covers the Herb.
3. Strain through a cloth and set this liquid aside. Return the Herb to the saucepan and cover with 1 quart of water.
4. Boil again for 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Strain and add the two liquids together. Put into a clean saucepan and slowly reduce by boiling to 1 pint.
6. Take from the fire and add 8 fluid ounces of glycerine.
7. Cool and bottle.
This remedy will keep for a long time if kept in a cool place and well corked.
One dessert spoonful to a tablespoonful 3 times a day. Children: 1⁄2 to 1 teaspoonful in honey water 3 times a day until the bowels are acting freely. Then reduce the dose.
For weakly children with pale and sallow skin, anemia and malnutrition generally. It can be taken in large doses, but should not be given to the point of producing diarrhea.
Elementary Treatise in Herbology by Dr. Edward E. Shook